Monday, October 21, 2019





Perseverance -A Pillar of Martial Arts and Life

Martial arts is a marathon, not a sprint-it should be a lifelong endeavor of physical, mental and moral improvement.

Martial arts has always been a journey of self discovery, self-reliance.
We all need good teachers and the support of senior students, fellow students, but
we ultimately must be able to stand on our own two feet and fight for ourselves.
I have always loved the personal empowerment of karate-watching people discover they are strong-they can do this, they can be good at this- powerful, self reliant., fearless-that this power is inside them, of their own making-they own it.
As a teacher, this was and is always a beautiful, powerful  moment to witness-when you see students realize  they are strong-they can do this, that they are good at it, that they continue to improve and they will never give up!
I tell people martial arts is a game of inches, not yards. It can be hard to track your own
improvement, it tends to be incremental. For some people , instant gratification is necessary. The repetition-endless kata, drills and exercises are too boring, too tedious . Many people give up, stop training when it becomes difficult or they become bored or complacent. As a teacher, I can tell you all about the frustration and sadness you feel when promising students drop out , give up or just never come back to a class.

I cannot give someone ambition, strength or endurance/perseverance. It has to come from  you.
A good part of life is just showing up with a respectful, positive attitude- in martial arts you should also be listening
carefully to your teachers,
not just listening, but reading between the lines.
Sometimes your teachers are waiting for you to ask the right questions-if they just give you the answer, if they show you everything, you have not worked for it, have not earned it-it's like cheating on a test.
Nothing good or worthwhile is ever easy.

The good teachers are hard on us-they demand more, they push harder, not satisfied until they see you are giving everything you have-they are waiting for the moments when you rise up-when you meet the potential they see in you.
We owe it to ourselves, our teachers and all the great martial artists whose footprints we follow in kata to never give up, never stop trying-not being complacent or convinced we have mastered something.
The world is full of people who give up when things become difficult.
I am convinced a person's true character is revealed when things are difficult, when life or circumstances have you down.
Will you rise? Or will you just stay down, defeated.

How badly do you want real martial arts training?
What are you willing to endure?
In my younger days I used to worry about who was better than who. I felt like I was competing against everybody at all times. I used to train like a madman before tournaments- then a funny thing happened. I was furiously  training at headquarters and Mr. Oyata was watching me-He asked me what the hell I was doing, what was wrong with me.
I told him I was training for the tournament and he told me to stop and come over to him. He looked me in the eye

and told me you can only train-you can't train for the tournament-you are either ready-right now, or you aren't.
Ladies and gentleman-ponder those words for a minute-that is true wisdom from a master of martial arts.
 I have never forgotten his lessons and I will never forget the martial arts he taught me.

I am no longer competing with anyone but myself. It is a constant struggle to fix bad habits, correct kata motion, make changes in technique that work for me, my body, my timing. I believe I am halfway to my true potential in martial arts.
It is entirely possible I will be a martial arts master at 106 years old!

We all aspire to greatness in our martial arts. Only through  many years of constant practice,
dogged determination-a fierce will to succeed can we hope to rise to any level of greatness.

As human beings, we are equally capable of wondrous, great deeds in our lives. We can inspire others through our example and actions. I believe the expectation of my teacher was that we all become better martial artists and better human beings over time-you can't get there overnight.

I firmly believe that inside of every human being is a tiny spark of the original fire, a small piece of the divine-what  will you do with that inner fire, with that spark-what will you feed it with? 
My teacher, Taika Seiyu Oyata left the world an incredible gift-His wisdom and his martial arts.
What will we do with it?

2 comments:

  1. Very inspirational!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, for your kind words. Glad people are reading and getting something out of my post!

      Delete